Friday, August 3, 2007

Concrete- Day Two

Today we poured the east side of the building, the second of three 54' long strips. Brother Drew, wife Laura and friend Charity helped out in withering heat, sun and humidity, well into the 90s.

The truck arrived early at 1:40 with 10.5 yards and we were pouring by 2 pm. Where the forms became 10' 8" wide we began to have some problems and narrowly averted a blowout as the forms were not backfilled enough along that edge. Tractor tire saved the day but I'll have some cutting and chiseling ahead of me where the form bowed out in a couple of places. Also the finishing was a disappointment as the form repair sucked up time and and not allow me to get on the concrete with the float as soon as I could have. We had another helpful driver who even helped rake and screed as I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Later I cooled down the body core temperature submerged in the kiddy pool. From 8 to 11:30pm in the mercifully cooler evening I added more bracing for the west side as our two daughters practiced their skating steps and dance moves on the hardening slab. Today I learned that concrete sucks.

No comments: